Developers registered 40,000 new homes to be built in the UK during Q2 2017, according to NHBC’s latest new home registration statistics.
40,343 new homes were registered during the period April – June, a marginal 1% decrease on the 40,810 registered 12 months ago.
29,123 homes were registered in the private sector, representing a 7% decrease on the same period a year ago (31,381), with 11,220 new homes registered in the affordable sector, a 19% increase on 2016 numbers (9,429).
The continued rise in the affordable sector can be attributed to a number of larger Housing Associations developing homes for market rent, private sale and shared ownership along with a rise in joint ventures with the private sector.
Six out of the 12 UK regions experienced growth in registrations, when compared to the same period last year. West Midlands (4,223 +33%), Scotland (3,709 +23%) and Wales (1,345 +56%) were among the regions with most notable growth.
As the leading warranty insurance provider for new homes in the UK, NHBC’s registration statistics are a lead indicator of the UK’s new homes market.
Commenting on the latest new home statistics, NHBC Business Development Director Neil Jefferson said:
“New home registrations have remained stable in the second quarter of this year, with some areas of the UK seeing significant increases in registration volumes.
“With demand for housing as strong as ever, the growth seen in the affordable sector is particularly encouraging.”
NHBC UK statistics for Q2 2017 show:
- The number of registrations was 40,343, a 1% decrease on last year (40,810). Of these:
- Private sector registrations in Q2 2017 decreased by 7% (29,123), compared with the same period in 2016 (31,381).
- Affordable sector registrations in Q2 2017 increased by 19% (11,220) when compared with the same period in 2016 (9,429).
- Full regional breakdown of new homes registered in Q2 2017 by region/country:
|Country/Region||Q2 2016||Q2 2017|
|England – Regions|
|Yorkshire & the Humber||2,336||2,475|
|Totals for England||36,208||34,121|
|Scotland – Councils||3,006||3,709|
|Wales – Unitary Authorities||861||1,345|
|Northern Ireland – Counties||735||1,168|
|Totals for UK||40,810||40,343|
- NHBC is the leading warranty insurance provider for new homes in the UK. NHBC’s ten-year Buildmark warranty covers around 80 per cent of new homes built in the UK, having covered nearly eight million homes since it began and currently protecting around 1.4 million homes. NHBC is a non-profit distributing organisation with no shareholders.
For more information, please contact:
James Hall at NHBC: T: 01908 746738 M: 07435 786851 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nadia Bedra at NHBC: T: 01908 746734 M: 07501 226656 email@example.com